Zoom Video Communications, the video conferencing platform that emerged as a key player after The Covid-19 pandemic, has chosen Oracle for its cloud infrastructure.
Why it is surprising:
Choosing the Oracle cloud is surprising because, as per the current market share, Zoom did not select any of the top cloud providers. Here are the top Cloud players as per Canalys
- Amazon Web Services aka AWS (~32%)
- Microsoft Azure (~18%)
- Google Cloud (~6%)
- Alibaba (~5%)
- Other (~39%)
Why Zoom selected Oracle:
The full deal is still not disclosed however below appears to be the main reasons for this deal:
- The robust security feature of the Oracle cloud is one of the main reasons because Zoom’s massive growth has also raised security questions around the service.
- Oracles network architecture, capacity, and data center locations will help Zoom to expand its innovative video communications platform rapidly.
- Within hours of deployment, Oracle Cloud Infrastructure supported hundreds of thousands of concurrent Zoom meeting participants after the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Already, Zoom is transferring upwards of seven petabytes through Oracle Cloud Infrastructure servers each day, roughly equivalent to 93 years of HD video.
“We chose Oracle Cloud Infrastructure because of its industry-leading security, outstanding performance, and an unmatched level of support.” – Zoom CEO
Key Points about Zoom:
- Eric Yuan, a former Cisco WebEx engineer, founded Zoom in 2011; Zoom currently has headquarters in San Jose, California.
- Zoom is free for video conferences of up to 100 participants, with a 40-minute time limit; however, paid subscriptions are available, costing $15–20 per month.
- Zoom ease-of-use and reliability resulted in $1 billion valuations in 2017, making it a “unicorn” company.
- The Covid-19 pandemic has pushed many companies, businesses, and schools to remote work due to where Zoom emerged as a key player.
- Zoom surpassed 300 million daily users, up from 200 million in just weeks.
More to come…
IT News App by IndianITBlog.com
Jai ho India!!
Jai Ho Indian IT Industry!!