Infosys starts construction work for a Software Development Centre in West Bengal 

IT services major Infosys started construction work for its first project at Rajarhat-New Town, West Bengal, with Bhoomi puja today. The IT giant will set up a Software Development Centre in the location.

While releasing two books dealing with cyber security as part of Cyber Security Awareness Month, IT minister Partha Chatterjee said that the construction work would be completed in 22 months, following which nearly 4,000 people would be employed immediately.

Mindtree Ltd has also been allotted land in Salt Lake Sector V and will begin work with nearly 500 employees within a month, IT Minister added. In the beginning, Infosys had planned an investment of Rs 100 crore with over 1,000 jobs.

According to sources and reports, the tech giant will come up with a data center at the site. Infosys’s major competitor Wipro is also coming up with its second campus in Rajarhat. Wipro’s maiden campus was set up at Salt Lake Sector V in 2006. The tech giants have been offered the ‘free-hold status for the land parcel in Rajarhat. Infosys, as well as Wipro, were given 50 acres of land for setting up their campuses.

Despite paying approximately Rs 75 crore, both the IT firms were sitting on their plots for over a decade. While turning down their demands for SEZ tags, the state Cabinet had allowed them to use 49% of their land for whatever purpose they deemed fit. The remaining 51% of the land was to be used for core IT-related operations. The sop was the biggest till date given to an IT-sector investor in West Bengal.

Meanwhile, the Cyber Security Centre of Excellence which works under the IT department, has come up with two books, namely a collection of writings on several topics of cyber security – Cyber Security: A Knowledge for Better Tomorrow and a Bengali comic book on Cyber Crime and its effects. 

The IT minister also stated that the books aim to generate public awareness on best practices in the cyber world and cyber hygiene. Cyber Security Awareness Month was started by the US Department of Homeland Security and the National Cyber Security Alliance in October 2004 as part of an effort to help all Americans stay safer and secure online.

October is celebrated worldwide as National Cyber Security Awareness Month to educate the citizens to increase the country’s cyber resilience. In 2021, the theme for Cyber Security Awareness Month is “Do Your Part. #BeCyberSmart.” The theme empowers and encourages organizations and individuals to perform their role in protecting their part of cyberspace. The awareness focuses on providing up-to-date online safety and security information to all digital citizens. 

For Latest IT News, download IT News App on Android App or iOS App .