Indian IT Blog classified Managers from Indian Software and IT Industry into five categories and gave unique names to these categories. We wrote this article based on many of the software Engineer’ experiences with their managers; therefore, it is mainly on Managers in the Indian IT Industry. But these categories apply to any industry and not just for IT Sector or Software Industry.
Five types of Managers in the Indian IT Industry.
But before that, let’s look at some feedback on this topic:
“I don’t like my Manager because he is very workaholic and expects the same from everyone in the team.”
“I am very impressed with my Manager; he is a brilliant guy and helping me grow in my career.”
“I hate my manager because I think she plays too much politics in the project.”
“I think my Manager never wants me to get any salary hike or promotion ever.”
“My current Manager is my role model in this professional industry, a real leader.”
“There is a lot of discrimination in the Information Technology sector; hence I never got any Onsite opportunity.”
“Sorry, I don’t give any feedback about my Manager, can we talk about Python?”
If we seek feedback from the entire IT industry about their Manager, you will receive these kinds of mixed opinions.
These statements are correct because there are different types of people in this world so do Managers.
After reading this blog story, you can relate it to your previous Managers, and if you are a Manager, we would recommend you to evaluate yourself against these categories.
1.Polito Manager aka “Politician Manager”
- These types of Managers are experts in playing office politics. They are the pillars of bureaucracy and best in manipulating things.
- Polito Manager has the power to manipulate everyone, including clients, senior management.
- They love to keep a strict hierarchy and never allow subordinates to have one-to-one conversations with senior management.
- They pretend to be concerned about their team, but they give some false updates and excuses in reality.
- Polito Managers try to create a fearful environment in the team; they unnecessarily trouble employees by doing something legal but not ethical.
- Dealing with the Polito manager is very challenging.
- Polito Managers are not always wrong; they may be helpful in some cases- they can use their skill to convince the client for billing hours and the effort required for the development.
- They can use their abilities to get more bonuses for the specific group or team.
2. Blamo Manager aka “Blaming Game Manager”
- Blaming other teams, other departments, other associates in the group is a primary job of these IT managers.
- Blamo Managers aka “Blaming Game Managers” are the worst Managers according to many IT employees and Software Engineers; it is because their primary intention is to blame and escalate things; often, they impact IT projects deliverables.
- Blamo Manager doesn’t grow fast compared to Polito Manager; they never accept their mistake and always try to blame others for errors and issues.
- Working with these kinds of Managers is a little bit difficult but more manageable than a Polito Manager.
3. Worko Manager aka “Workaholic Manager”
- If your Manager smiles and feels excited when new work or project comes to the team, this is the first sign of a Workaholic Manager.
- Worko Manager aka “Workaholic Manager” works too hard and habitually provides flexibility to only those people who are also workaholics.
- Worko Manager aka “Workaholic Manager” like to discuss new tools and technologies and often motivate their team to finish work and then study something or learn new things.
- They know every technical detail in the project and love to work on the weekend and extended hours if there is any pending work.
- Working with these kinds of Managers is challenging; however, suitable for your initial days of career growth and progress.
4. Legalo Manager aka “Legal Manager”
- These managers answer your question referencing specific company policy and consistently implement things aligned with the company’s control protocol, codes, ethics, and policy.
- If your Manager doesn’t consider any exception, even if you are the best and most critical resource in the team, congratulations, you are working with Legalo Manager.
- Legalo Managers aka “Legal Managers” are the perfect Managers in the eye of higher management; Legalo Managers are highly respectable in every Organization and protect the Organization’s reputation.
- They always need a response in a written email and keep all the information safe and very organized with them.
- Working with these Managers is also challenging, but you always get what you deserve (subject to any company policy, lol)
5. Besto Manager aka “Best Manager”
- These Managers are the real leaders, and you continuously learn and grow with Besto Manager.
- They are the best Managers in the IT industry and a mix of all the above types of Manager.
- Besto Manager aka “Best Manager” plays little politics, and they blame a little bit, occasionally workaholic and Legalo Manager most of the time.
- They are indeed mentors; they are flexible and consistently achieve the best results by applying due diligence.
- Always try to get the best from team members and subordinates; they help you grow by providing transparent and constructive feedback and help you by improving your knowledge and skills.
- Best Managers trust and defend their team and treat everyone with respect; they act as colleagues even though they are the Boss.
IT companies with many Besto Managers have always considered the best place to work and grow faster than any other IT company of similar size with fewer Besto Managers. During the 90s, Infosys has the most number of Besto Manager. Just after 2008, Cognizant was considered to have more Besto Managers. Currently, it’s certainly large US-based Tech Companies and several startups that have a higher number of Besto Manager Mentor.
What kind of Manager you got and what is his most frequently used dialogue?
Jai ho India!
This post is written exclusively by Indian IT Blog – Indian Software and IT Industry News